Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6j.patch.gz
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:

I don't quite follow this.  Maybe I didn't explain my case right.  It
should be impossible (as I understand it) to create a file with
iso-8859-1 pound signs in it if everything is set up correctly for
utf-8 shouldn't it?  I just happened to have some iso-8859-1 pounds in
a file I had created earlier.

When I edited the file with the iso-8859-1 pound signs (just 0xA3
bytes by themselves) I got the incorrect cursor positioning. These are
invalid characters in utf-8 and, I believe, vile should really display
the 'invalid character' glyph which on my system appears to be an
inverse question mark.

I see - can reproduce it here. It looks as if vile's got confused at some point (there are a half-dozen knots in display.c which I thought were all aligned). It should show as \?A3 and track the cursor according to that 4-column width. The cursor is moving properly, but the display isn't.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net