[vile] utf-8 and vile 9.61

From: Chris G
Subject: [vile] utf-8 and vile 9.61
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:26:25 +0000

OK, so I'm home now and I'm trying to get vile 9.6i to behave itself
in a utf-8 terminal window, without much success.

I'm running vile in a gnome-terminal window, the "current character
set" according to gnome-terminal is utf-8.  'locale' reports:-

    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf8
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"

If I edit a file with vile and enter pound characters it doesn't work
properly, vile gets its cursor positioning confused and the characters
actually written to file are not utf-8 pound characters.

I have tried the same in an xterm with the same results.

What do I need to do to get vile to handle utf-8 comfortably?

By the way xvile seems to act about the same.

--
Chris Green