Re: [vile] Making UTF-8 default

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Making UTF-8 default
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:40:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hi all,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:24:40AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:
How do I tell vile (9.6) to default to utf-8 encoding?  Or does it do
this automatically if the locale is set to utf-8?

You can put this in your .vilerc

set file-encoding=utf-8

I'm having different kind of issues.  With my terminal input set to UTF-8,
LC_CTYPE to an UTF-8 locale, vile still produces weird stuff for me.

If I try to enter UTF-8 character 0xe9 (latin small letter e with acute),
vile displays \xC3 for file-encoding=auto en \?C3 for
file-encoding=utf-8.  So, the result seems to be half of the actual
UTF-8 encoding (0xc3 0xa9) of this character.

I am overlooking something?

maybe - what's the locale, and what terminal type?  (I can try reproducing
the problem this evening).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net