Re: [vile] Tags not working, how to diagnose?

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Tags not working, how to diagnose?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:25:52 +0100

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 04:57:46PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Chris G wrote:
>
>> I can't get tags to work with vile or xvile on my Fedora 7 system at
>> home.  A very similar set-up works fine at work.
>
> "work" iirc is using Solaris.  Fedora is using exhuberant ctags, which
> does have some extensions.  When those were proposed ~ years ago, we
> modified vile to work with them.  It's possible that Fedora's adding
> some quirk (or it could be locale-related).  But for the given message,
> that's "only" doing a scan of the "tags" mode (space-separated pathnames).

Ah, no, my desktop system at work is now a Fedora 7 one, though our
target systems are still Solaris.  In practice I run vile on both
Fedora and Solaris there, the tags work on both.

I just logged in to my work Fedora system, ran ctags on some files and
checked that vile can use the tags.  It can.

>> I have run ctags and it has created a tags file that looks OK to me
>> but when I try 'CTRL-]' I get the error:-
>>
>>    [No tags file available.]
>
> Reading the code in tags.c, it seems that vile's not finding the
> tags filename and/or able to load it into a buffer.  There's no
> useful information I can think of here that doesn't require a
> debugging setup (configuring/compiling vile using the --with-trace
> option would give some useful information in Trace.out).
>
>> Vim works fine in the same directory with the same tags file.
>
> Is this "any" tags file, or just a specific one?

Same directory, same file that vile can't read/see for some reason.

As a final test I copied the whole directory where I just did the
successful test on my work system to my home system and tried vile
there.  With the identical tags file that works with vile on Fedora 7
at work I get "[No tags file available.]".

The only major difference between the work Fedora system and my home
one is that the work one is a 32-bit/i686 installation and the home
one is a 64-bit/x86_64 one.  However my 32-bit slackware vile gives
the same [No tags file available.] error at home too.

--
Chris Green