Re: [vile] extended characters displaying as backslash sequences on BSD

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] extended characters displaying as backslash sequences on BSD
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:58:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Eur Ing Chris Green wrote:

I seem to de dredging up all sorts of problems at the moment.

On my BSD build of vile 9.5o extended characters (e.g. accented
letters, the UK pound sign, etc.) are displaying as backslashed
sequences rather than the proper characters.

That sounds as if the locale option is not (one of) compiled in, activated (by environment variables) or working.

If it's compiled in, $cfgopts would have "locale" in its list.
For activated - the "locale" command of course.
If it's not working - bug

I.e for the pound sign I get \xA3 and for e with an acute accent I get
\xE9.

Vile 9.5o is working OK on other platforms and I thought that my
previous vile (9.5i or thereabouts) was OK here on BSD.  So what's
changed?

The characters display fine outside of vile.

--
Chris Green