Re: [vile] Where are 'keywords' set for vilemode, keymode, etc.?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Where are 'keywords' set for vilemode, keymode, etc.?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:20:24 -0500

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:04:40PM +0000, Eur Ing Chris Green wrote:
> I have the same vile.keywords file on all my systems, I don't have any
> 'local' vile.keywords files, there's only the one in /xxx/vile/share.
> Thus the highlighting *should* be the same on all systems, but it
> isn't for some reason.

Using an external filter (see, they have uses), you can add a -vvv option
and see the keyword- and color-information at the beginning of the output
from the filter.

> > >However this is only happening on some file types, cmode seems OK but
> > >vilemode and keymode aren't.
> > >
> > >So, what xxx.keywords file is used when one is in (say) vilemode?
> >
> > vilemode is a special case: if it's not built with external filters,
> > vilemode uses vile's own symbol tables to get the keywords to highlight.
> > (It could be improved, but I generally find the result usable).
> >
> It's not very wrong, it's just that a couple of things get
> bold/bright where they shouldn't.
>
> For example, in the following snippet from my .vilerc file:-
>
>     22 store-macro
>         ~force execute-hypertext-command
>         ~if &not $status
>             ~force forward-character-to-eol
>         ~endif
>     ~endm
>
> Vile comes up (as expected) in vilemode.  On the 'correct' systems
> the '22' is red and the ~xxxxx are blue, however on the 'incorrect'
> systems the '22' is bright red and the ~xxxxx are bright blue.  It's
> only some file types where this is happening though.  On the
> 'incorrect' systems C code, for example, has all the highlighting
> correct including some in blue and red (as opposed to bright blue
> and bright red).
>
> On both systems the "&not $status" is bright blue.
>
> My vile.keywords is:-
>
>     : $Id: vile.key,v 1.7 1999/03/08 11:50:25 tom Exp $
>     : customize this file with the global default values for highlighting
> attributes
>     .class Type:C4
>     .class Action:BC5
>     .class Comment:C2
>     .class Ident:C0
>     .class Ident2:BC0
>     .class Keyword:BC4
>     .class Keyword2:BC5
>     .class Literal:C1
>     .class Number:BC1
>     .class Preproc:C5
>
> That looks to me as if the 'incorrect' systems are actually 'correct'
> as red is colour 1 so, presumably, "Number:BC1" means that numbers are
> in bright red.  The question now is why some systems are showing that
> number in ordinary red.  I think the blues are correct on the
> 'correct' system though, very confusing!

It could be outside vile - depends on the terminal emulator.

Redhat for instance changes colors to make them less bright.
I haven't seen a plausible reason, but have read that it was
to accomodate a console font that didn't look right with bright colors.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net