[vile] some win32 v9.5i [win]vile feedback

From: Clark Morgan
Subject: [vile] some win32 v9.5i [win]vile feedback
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:43:03 -0700

I use console vile and winvile on an XP PC at work for intense data entry.
I.E., I'm in the editor all day long.  Problems:

1) console vile + a newer version of cygwin is completely unsafe.  Why?

   If you start bash, invoke console vile, and then type ^C (by mistake) in
   the editor, console vile is blown away by cygwin (poof--the editor
   vanishes).  This doesn't happen with older versions of cygwin.  Perhaps
   this is fixed in a newer version of cygwin, but given this kind of bad
   behavior by cygwin/bash, I've washed my hands of using console vile from
   the Win32 command line.  (No, i'm not ever going back to cmd.exe).

   This version of cygwin (FWIW), doesn't have the ^C bug:

        Cygwin DLL version info:
            DLL version: 1.5.12
            DLL epoch: 19
            Build date: Wed Nov 10 08:34:47 EST 2004

2) winvile 9.5i crashes (faults) occasionally when pasting clipboard data
   into a long-lived buffer.  I don't have a debugger available at work,
   so can't help with this issue.  The crashes were a lot more frequent
   with earlier versions of post-9.5 winvile, so one of Tom's later 9.5
   patches has helped.  I compensate by typing :w a lot these days.

3) today, when typing ^G in a long-lived buffer, winvile reported
   (crude paraphrasing):

        @ line 255 of 9

   what the hell (I thought to myself)?  So, I typed :w and truncated
   my data file to 9 lines.  Thank goodness for the dos/win32 .bak feature.

FYI.

- Clark