Re: [vile] Odd problem with setting colour resource

From: chrisisbd
Subject: Re: [vile] Odd problem with setting colour resource
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:34:21 -0500

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 06:11:34AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, address@hidden wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 08:51:06PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >>probably Firefox's resetting $TERM to something like "vt100" which
> >>doesn't have colors.  In that case, the available colors are only
> >>"black" and "white".  If that's the case, you can test the $ncolors
> >>variable to see if it's 2, and put an if-endif around the code in your
> >>.vilerc file
> >>
> >OK, thanks.
> >
> >However I've just looked at the value of TERM from inside the vile
> >that's started by Firefox and it's still set to 'xterm'.
>
> Is this on Solaris?  Firefox might be running using the session manager's
> environment.  On Solaris normally "xterm" is the non-color version, but
> people may set $TERMINFO to point to a terminfo database where it's the
> color version.

Yes, Solaris 2.6 sort of, Firefox actually runs on a 2.8 system but is
displayed, er, on a PC!  So, in reality there's no Solaris 2.6
involved although my 'home' system and desktop etc. are on a 2.6
system.  I run a CDE desktop (from the 2.6 system) on a PC using xdm
and a Kea X server on the PC.  Firefox has to run on a Solaris 2.8
system because no 2.6 builds are available nowadays.

> >I've actually come up with an alternative workaround, I have
> >explicitly set the background colour using '-bg grey90' and that gets
> >me the result I want.
> >

> >There's something odd about the way some X apps start up new terminal
> >windows because I've seen the same problem starting up rxvt terminal
> >windows/vile from our CM tool Continuus.  Although I don't see an
> >error there, it has a darker grey background than my preferred grey90.
> >After the error I was asking about above in Firefox I also get this
> >darker grey.  Nowhere in any of my X resources do I ask for anything
> >but grey90.
>
> Again, that could be explained by different environments - it's common for
> desktop environments to set resource values with xrdb that don't match
> your preferences.  I usually notice this when starting xterm from a menu
> vs from the command-line.  (I could go on at length about this - it seems
> that the desktop designers keep making the resource patterns more specific
> to interfere with user's app-defaults files ;-).  It's a frequent area of
> bug-reports...

Yes, I find that sometimes things seem to ignore/change my resource
settings which I have explicitly set at startup using xrdb.

--
Chris Green (address@hidden)