viewmail-info

Re: Saving vs deleting attachments

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: Saving vs deleting attachments
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:55:28 +0100

On Sat, Jul 10 2021, Julian Bradfield <jcb+vm@jcbradfield.org> wrote:

> On 2021-07-09, Robert Marshall <robert@capuchin.co.uk> wrote:
>> The keybindings for saving and deleting attachments are rather close on
>> the keyboard C-c C-s vs C-c C-d. On a couple of occasions I've pressed
>> the wrong one. Undo doesn't appear to work on this to repair the damage.
>>
>> Also easy to do - as my workflow is usually save followed by delete
>> attachment.
>
> Hm. If you save attachments, why delete them? Or if you delete them,
> why save them?

Because I want to put them in one place and an email folder may not be
the best place esp if there is little in the email apart from a (in some
cases) humungous attachment. I get 'magazines' via email and they feel
better saved in a local filesystem directory (esp if the email
sub/attachment is not well labelled). Because there's an
editable document as the attachment that I will change and then do
things with and the original is of not much interest

>> Have others found a good way of protecting oneself here - maybe a y-n
>> question on deleting (though easy to type y mindlessly !) Or maybe I
>> should just forget there are keybindings in both these cases!
>
> I use the universal protection of keeping a backup copy of all
> incoming mail.

I tend to like keeping things off the mail server (though I can backup
both local and the mail server), though a local folder works - but see above!

Robert
--
Robert Marshall               twitter: @rajm