viewmail-info

Re: [VM] turning off auto-save for imap cache folders

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] turning off auto-save for imap cache folders
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:04:23 +0000

et writes:

> Hi all, I've been experiencing long freezes in emacs, and I
> think this happens especially while replying to emails in
> vm.  It has been suggested to me that this could be due to
> autosave of the large imap folders (16,000 messages, 300Mb).
> would anyone know how to turn off auto-save selectively for
> the imap folders?  the file name is typically of the form
> imap-cache-2cd517ba0be9fc39...  many thanks, E

Here is the idea.  You might need to test it.

(defun turn-off-imap-auto-save ()
   (if (memq vm-folder-access-method '(imap imap-ssl))
     (auto-save-mode 0)))

If this works, then you need to add:

(add-hook 'vm-visit-folder-hook 'turn-off-imap-auto-save)

---

By the way, large folders also cause problems with garbage collection
pauses, and you can't turn them off.

Using the "external messages" facility is the best way to control the size
of folders resident in Emacs.

Cheers,
Uday