uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] usb-parallel port adapter unit with uisp in linux?

From: Wojtek Kaniewski
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] usb-parallel port adapter unit with uisp in linux?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:45:15 +0100

Theodore A. Roth wrote:
USB to serial adapters work in most cases. The cases that don't work are
the DASA and DAPA type programmer dongles. You loose control of the
individual pin levels when using USB adaptors (both serial and
parallel). There might be some USB-to-rs232 or parallel dongles that can
give you pin level control, but I haven't seen any (note: my USB
experience is very limited).

almost every serial adapter lets you control DTR and RTS, but none of drivers in Linux 2.4 handles break on TXD, which leaves us with 2 signals. and as DASA2 sets RST with break, i think that the pressing the reset switch in the target device before running uisp should do the trick.

besides, i've found only one parallel adapter in Linux source tree and it seems that it handles properly all required parport ioctls -- writing data and control port, reading status port.

disclaimer: i don't own any serial or paralle USB adapters, so this is just theory based on Linux source code review.

regards,
wojtek