uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] USB parport programmer

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] USB parport programmer
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Odd Arild Olsen wrote:

> I have used a home made parport programmer for years, but time has come to
> move to USB. I just bought an AVRISP which functions well with a USB-serial
> cable. However, I would like to use my old -dapa programmer with a
> USB-parport cable. The cable registers as usblp0:
>
> Apr 27 10:23:05 asus kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev
> 2 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x067B pid 0x2305
> Apr 27 10:23:05 asus kernel: printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
> Apr 27 10:23:05 asus insmod: Using
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB/kernel/drivers/usb/printer.o
>
> How can I force it to become a ppdev so I can use something like
> -dlpt=/dev/parport0 ?

This is most likely a function of what the convertor can do. Using dapa
requires that you can manually fiddle the levels on each of the pins of
the parallel port. I have no idea if your convertor gives you control
over that. It may also be that the USB driver for the parallel dongle
does give access to that level of control either.

I have no practical experience with USB devices, but maybe someone else
on the list can shed some more light on this.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9
Jabber ID: address@hidden