[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Length of lines in GNUN

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: Length of lines in GNUN
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 17:51:35 +0200
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/91.10.0

Hi Dora,

Le 13/06/2022 à 14:37, Dora Scilipoti a écrit :

when either Javier or me commit a PO in which we have introduced only a
few modifications, sometimes the diff reported in  will show a lot of changes that we haven't
made; they are changes in the length of the lines, introduced by GNUN (I

Both of us use Poedit to edit our POs; we have tried setting the
wrapping of lines in Poedit to 79, then  75, but the problem persists.
I'm thinking that if we set the same value that GNUN uses, we may solve
the issue.  What's the value set in GNUN?

However, there are also other cases where this occurs which seem to have
nothing to do with the length of the lines but, rather, with spaces;
namely, commented lines such as:

#.  TRANSLATORS: stale

#.  TRANSLATORS: Ignore the original text in this paragraph,
#. TRANSLATORS: Ignore the original text in this paragraph,

Examples of a POs where both of these issues this occurred:

Ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are 2 versions of gettext on fencepost:

* The version that comes with Trisquel 9:

thg@fencepost:~$ /usr/bin/msgcat -V
msgcat (GNU gettext-tools)
Copyright (C) 2001-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

* Another one in gnun's home:

thg@fencepost:~$ /home/g/gnun/install/gettext/bin/msgcat -V
msgcat (GNU gettext-tools) 0.18.1
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

gnun uses the old one:

thg@fencepost:~$ less /home/g/gnun/install/gnun/share/gnun/
MSGATTRIB       := /home/g/gnun/install/gettext/bin/msgattrib
MSGCAT          := /home/g/gnun/install/gettext/bin/msgcat
MSGFMT          := /home/g/gnun/install/gettext/bin/msgfmt
MSGMERGE        := /home/g/gnun/install/gettext/bin/msgmerge

Both versions wrap lines at 79 characters, but they split some long
strings differently. For example, 0.18.1 splits
"<small>(<a href=\"/manual/manual.html" after "<small>",
whereas your version doesn't.

The difference in space number may also be explained by the different
versions of gettext.

If you wanted to avoid reformatting on the server, you'd need to use the
same gettext version, for example by installing it in /usr/local/. But
maybe that's not worth the trouble.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]