trans-coord-devel

Length of lines in GNUN

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Length of lines in GNUN
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:37:22 +0200

Hello,

when either Javier or me commit a PO in which we have introduced only a
few modifications, sometimes the diff reported in
web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org  will show a lot of changes that we haven't
made; they are changes in the length of the lines, introduced by GNUN (I
suppose).

Both of us use Poedit to edit our POs; we have tried setting the
wrapping of lines in Poedit to 79, then  75, but the problem persists.
I'm thinking that if we set the same value that GNUN uses, we may solve
the issue.  What's the value set in GNUN?

However, there are also other cases where this occurs which seem to have
nothing to do with the length of the lines but, rather, with spaces;
namely, commented lines such as:

#.  TRANSLATORS: stale
#. TRANSLATORS: stale

#.  TRANSLATORS: Ignore the original text in this paragraph,
#. TRANSLATORS: Ignore the original text in this paragraph,

Examples of a POs where both of these issues this occurred:

http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/www/www/server/po/home-pkgblurbs.es.po?r1=1.59&r2=1.60
http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/www/www/proprietary/po/proprietary-surveillance.es.po?r1=1.293&r2=1.294

Ideas on how to solve this would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Dora Scilipoti
gnu.org/education