Re: tramp (2.7.0-pre nil/nil); Can't connect to server anymore

From: Kirill A. Korinsky
Subject: Re: tramp (2.7.0-pre nil/nil); Can't connect to server anymore
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 22:51:27 +0100

Greetings,

> On 7. Jan 2024, at 16:45, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> That indicates, that the error in your case, writing to an improper /tmp
> directory, isn't caused by Tramp directly, but rather by an external
> program Tramp runs on the remote side behind the scenes. Could you
> please verify this? Remove write permissions from the remote /tmp
> directory, and start Emacs like this:

> # emacs -l tramp --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)' /ssh:some.host:
>
> The error should appear, and there should be a Tramp debug buffer. This
> might tell us more. If you fear to uncover sensible information with the
> debug buffer, send it directly to me.

I make a fresh VM with OpenBSD and I've commented /tmp in fstab:

> playground$ cat /etc/fstab | grep /tmp
> #9d7210582a3759f3.e /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
> playground$

after reboot I've checked permissions: all good

> playground$ ls -l / | grep tmp
> drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel       512 Jan  7 22:42 tmp
> playground$

now I've added ramdisk for /tmp

> playground$ cat /etc/fstab | grep /tmp
> #9d7210582a3759f3.e /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
> swap /tmp mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-s=300m 0 0
> playground$

and reboot machine one more time, and check that I can't use /tmp:

> playground$ ls -l / | grep tmp
> drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel       512 Jan  7 22:46 tmp
> playground$ echo > /tmp/xxx
> ksh: cannot create /tmp/xxx: Permission denied
> playground$

When I run emacs your way I have:

In *Messages*
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> Tramp: Opening connection nil for playground.island.local using ssh...failed
> signal: Wrong type argument: "listp /bin/sh:"

and I've attached tramp.log

--
wbr, Kirill