Re: tramp (2.6.0 nil/nil); sudo method: with tramp 2.6.0 connection prob

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.6.0 nil/nil); sudo method: with tramp 2.6.0 connection problem
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 17:01:19 +0100

"C. Conrad" <electric.monk@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Christoph,

Pls keep <tramp-devel@gnu.org> in Cc, for the archives.

>     Everything works as expected. Could you pls try to reproduce it
>     similarly?
>
> I did - and it worked in the clean environment.

Good to know. No bug.

> So i edebug'ed in my customized environment. After several trials and
> (to be true) not understanding what's going on in the several tramp
> files i was asked for a passwd for sudo'ing. And the info was written
> to ~/.authinfo. After that it works again as expected.

Ahh, in Tramp 2.6, sudo credentials are stored differently. From the
Tramp manual:

   For the methods ‘doas’, ‘sudo’ and ‘sudoedit’ the password of the
user requesting the connection is needed, and not the password of the
target user.  If these connections happen on the local host, an entry
with the local user and local host is used:

     machine HOST port sudo login USER password secret

Before 2.6, the credentials were stored for user "root", which is
wrong. Likely, you were hit by this.