Re: tramp (2.3.5.26.3); Showing directory listing from wrong host

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.3.5.26.3); Showing directory listing from wrong host
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 15:01:14 +0200

Jon Schewe <jpschewe@mtu.net> writes:

Hi Jon,

> I tried installing tramp-2.5.0.4 from GNU ELPA and it installed into my
> home directory, but doesn't seem to want to load, I keep getting the
> version of tramp that is installed with Emacs.

I guess it is installed at "~/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-2.5.0.4". I suppose,
this directory is added to your load-path.

> When I try and load tramp.elc explicitly from my home directory I get
> an error:
> (void-function tramp-register-crypt-file-name-handler)

Well, there are problems in upgrading Tramp for older Emacsen. Read the
README at <http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/tramp.html>.

(I don't explain in more detail what to do by intention. I hope I get
the feedback from you whether this description is sufficient, or whether
it needs more instructions.)