Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 21:26:01 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

> There's something unusual happening with how shell escaping works on
> MS Windows... pscp works fine for me on Tramp 2.5.0.4, but fails on
> quoted files in the development build. See the table at the end for
> the results; for consistency with my last set of tests, "tramp-dev2"
> is commit 13b41389. However, I also tried with the latest Tramp commit
> (0b8bb839), and it seems to fail in the same ways.
>
> Surprisingly, if I take the very same command from the "Tramp 2.5.0.4
> + pscp" logs and run it in a Windows Console, it fails:
>
>   pscp -scp -p -q -r server:/home/jim/a\ \"quoted\"\ file.txt .
>   More than one remote source not supported

Well ... I should have thought earlier. Tramp calls scp and pscp via
start-process, directly. No local shell is invoked for this.

See tramp-sh.el, line 2375.

So, tests from a local shell will behave differently than from Tramp.

> (I still haven't gotten the time to read over the docs on running
> Tramp's automated tests. Hopefully I can get to that soon, since it
> would be a lot more thorough than my manual tests.)

TL;DR:

1. In your Windows shell, tell the test suite the Tramp test directory

# set REMOTE_TEMPORARY_FILE_DIRECTORY=/scpx:gandalf:/tmp

gandalf is my remote Linux server. For different tests, you can vary the
methods. I have applied plink, pscp, psftp, sshx, scpx.

2. Invoke Emacs in batch mode for the tests

# "%ProgramFiles%\Emacs\emacs-28.0.50-snapshot\bin\emacs.exe" -Q -batch -L
X:\src\tramp\lisp -l X:\src\tramp\test\tramp-tests.el --eval
"(ert-run-tests-batch t)"

x:\src\tramp is the directory with my recent Tramp sources. The GNU ELPA
package lacks the lisp/ subdirectory.

In the eval closure, you can specify a test selector. t means to run all
tests, 'tramp-test40-special-characters (quoted!) means to run just the
special characters test. I recommend the latter while checking special
characters; the whole test suite lasts too long.

In tramp-tests.el, function tramp--test-special-characters, you can
specify what test strings to apply. Change as you want :-)