Re: Tramp with Dired produces unwanted //DIRED// line

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp with Dired produces unwanted //DIRED// line
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:18:10 +0200

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee@inka.de> writes:

Hi Felix,

>> So you might adapt your ~/.emacs such a way that Tramp 2.5.0.2 is in
>> the load-path, and you might start a new Emacs instance. As a proof of
>> concept, try
>>
>> # emacs -Q -L ~/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-2.5.0.2
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, but starting Emacs as above doesn’t help. I
> still get the invalid function error.

Hmm, this shall work. I suppose you have installed Tramp 2.5.0.2 via the
package mechanism, using the same Emacs 27.1?

What happens, if you remove all *.elc files from
~/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-2.5.0.2/ ?

And finally, this morning, I have added the following to Tramp's FAQ:

   • I get an error ‘tramp-file-name-handler: Invalid function:
     tramp-compat-with-mutex’

     Likely, you have a running Emacs session with loaded TRAMP, and
     you try to upgrade it to another version from GNU ELPA. Since
     TRAMP is not forward compatible, you must unload / reload it.
     Try the following steps:

          M-x tramp-unload-tramp <RET>
          M-x load-library <RET> tramp <RET>

Does this help?