Re: tramp (2.4.3.27.1 nil/nil); /sudo doesn't work

From: Giovanni Ruggiero
Subject: Re: tramp (2.4.3.27.1 nil/nil); /sudo doesn't work
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 19:02:43 +0200

They are just the prefix I've tried, after those I've added the semicolon and the path.
To be more precise, to open the alternatives.log file, I've tried:

/sudo:root@localhost:/var/log/alternatives.log
/sudo:localhost:/var/log/alternatives.log
/sudo:<hostname>:/var/log/alternatives.log
/sudo:root@<hostname>:/var/log/alternatives.log
/sudo:127.0.0.1:/var/log/alternatives.log
/sudo:root@127.0.0.1:/var/log/alternatives.log
//sudo::/var/log/alternatives.log

and none of them works

Thank you
On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 6:54 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
Giovanni Ruggiero <giovanni.ruggiero@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ben,

Hi Giovanni,

> thank you, but is not a problem of auto completion, is that I can't
> open files at all with Tramp.
>
> I included the [No match] message as a way to say that everything I
> try (included /sudo:root@localhost ) after /sudo:
> isn't recognized as a valid path for an existing file and so a new
> empty buffer is created.
>
> I've added localhost in my .ssh/config file and tried
>
> /sudo:root@localhost
> /sudo:localhost
> /sudo:<hostname>
> /sudo:root@<hostname>
> /sudo:127.0.0.1
> /sudo:root@127.0.0.1
>
> all without luck.

Looks like you're missing the final colon, like in /sudo:root@localhost:
The most simple way to open is just /sudo::