Re: question on tramp multi-hop

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: question on tramp multi-hop
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 10:54:33 +0200

Alex Koval <alex@koval.kharkov.ua> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Alex,

> 1. I need to be able to connect to staging host:
> /ssh:ubuntu@bastion.staging.example.com|ssh:root@master1:
>
> 2. And to production:
> /ssh:ubuntu@bastion.production.example.com|ssh:root@master1:
>
> So, in such case  tramp is unuseble, instead I will  need to run several
> copies of 'emacs' to use tramp there.
>
> So, it would be good to have some stable solution which allows me to
> connect avoid using per-host cache in such cases.

Well, maybe you could use a simple trick. For address resolution, it
doesn't matter whether a host name has a trailing dot. "host", "host.",
"host..", etc resolve all to the same IP address.

For Tramp these are different strings, so it can distinguish. Maybe you try

/ssh:ubuntu@bastion.staging.example.com|ssh:root@master1:

/ssh:ubuntu@bastion.production.example.com|ssh:root@master1.:

> Filipp> Maybe Tramp should use all hops as the cache key, not just the final
> Filipp> one?
>
> Hope so.

As I wrote the other message, it isn't possible. Tramp wouldn't know how
to handle "/ssh:root@master1:".