Re: Tramp to Android over Wi-Fi

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp to Android over Wi-Fi
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 09:54:27 +0100

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dan,

> I found I could use
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.xender
> to achieve:
>
> Without any Internet, and just my cellphone and laptop,
> I was able to browse the contents of my cellphone on the laptop at
> $BROWSER http://192.168.43.1:33455/web/index.html .
>
> So then I thought wouldn't it be great if instead of $BROWSER I could
> simply use TRAMP?

I don't know this, but it sounds you could url-handler-mode. It is
intended to act similar to Tramp for http(s?) connections.

> So it would have to be the xender method: create a hotspot on Android
> which the laptop can find the SSID of and connect to.
>
> Anyway in the manual, "4.8 Using Android" could mention it is possible,
> and (info "(tramp) Android shell setup") detail how.

Well, the Tramp manual explains this somehow. Instead of xender, you
might install Termux or SSHDroid. They run an sshd daemon on your
Android device, and you could connect via Tramp with /ssh:192.168.43.1:
(using your example above.

> Perhaps use xender to create the connection, then run some second app on
> the (non rooted) Android to allow TRAMP to talk to the shell...

I don't know xender, but it sounds like http based. That's not supported
by Tramp out-of-the-box. url-handler-mode sounds more appropriate.