Re: Error with GZIP

From: Live System User
Subject: Re: Error with GZIP
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 02:07:24 -0400

Hi,

> Live System User <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> # emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 6)'
>>
>>   Unfortunately, I am unable to get it to fail again;
>
> Please try then
>
> # emacs --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 6)'

  I cannot get it to fail again with my full configuratiom -- just that
  one time (after the GZIP modifications on master but the error
  ocurred on Emacs 25.2)

>>         A wild guess: did Emacs 25.2 use info that was cached/saved
>>         from mater. perhaps from the `tramp-persistency-file-name'
>>         file (though I haven't started up TRAMO on master for a couple
>>         days)?
>
> Yes, something has changed in the cached value for gzip. Maybe you
> simply remove the `tramp-persistency-file-name' before starting Emacs?

  OK I can do that -- maybe adding the Emacs version to the filemame
  so that Emacs 14.2 doesn't use master's `tramp-persistency-file-name'.

  Can you explain the puropse of the `tramp-persistency-file-name'?

  What's its main advantage and under what scenarios is it more
  advantageous?  With a shred/master socket (controllmaster)?
  Controllpersist?
        What are its limitations?

        When is it best to use one?

        When should you not use one?

        Are mulyiple separate SSH connections and
        `tramp-persistency-file-name' files supported?

        Thanks.