Re: tramp (2.4.1-pre); Cannot move cursor back to /method:host: part whe

From: Maarten Grachten
Subject: Re: tramp (2.4.1-pre); Cannot move cursor back to /method:host: part when finding remote file
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 21:44:17 +0200

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

On 2018-09-20 16:15, Michael Albinus wrote:

I'm not sure this is a Tramp issue. I can reproduce the problem when I
start Emacs with my (rather extensive) configuration. It does not happen
when starting "emacs -Q". So I suspect a completion package is in the way.
Which one do you use?

You may be right that this may be an issue of the autocompletion.

Interestingly, when I start emacs without any initialization "emacs -Q -q" (i.e. using built-in completion?), the problem still occurs.

I noticed the restriction on cursor movement to the part after the last colon is enforced as soon as I type the first directory separator (/).

That is, up to:

  /sshx:machine1:folder

the cursor can be freely moved. Then as soon as I type the slash:

  /sshx:machine1:folder/

the cursor cannot be moved to the /sshx:machine1 part, even without invoking completion by <tab>. As soon as I delete the slash, I can again move the cursor freely.

You can edit the "machine1" part of the file name, if you delete the
trailing colon ":" after the host name temporarily. Likely it isn't the
final solution we want to get, but it's at least a work around.

Yes, that works indeed.