Set PS1 on login?

From: John Collins
Subject: Set PS1 on login?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 21:08:40 -0700

Hello,

Happy (mostly) tramp user here that is also very new to it. As someone working with remote machines that I do not own or control, TRAMPs inability to handle fancy prompts is highly crippling. It's stated in the FAQ that "tramp needs a clean recognizable prompt on the remote host for accurate parsing". What I don't understand is why tramp can't set PS1 when logging in the typical way one does:

ssh ... -t 'PS1='$'; bash -i'

When I modify tramp-maybe-open-connection to do this it works just fine; I'm able to login to a remote that would hang with the message:

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...fail

I figure there is a good reason this can't be done, but wanted to raise the issue just in case.

Regards,

John C.