Re: How do I debug this?

From: Mark Geary
Subject: Re: How do I debug this?
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 18:06:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017, Michael Albinus wrote:

Mark Geary <address@hidden> writes:

I suppose there is more than one cause of the false positives. One
case is where the ssh connection drops. When I update emacs's local
copy of the file, Tramp re-creates the connection to the remote machine
and tries to check the file's stats. But Tramp doesn't always
re-create the tramp_perl_file_attributes shell function.

Thanks for the analysis! I've tried to reproduce the problem locally, it
doesn't happen here. Looking at the problem in detail (connection
properties are not flushed properly when the process died), it seems
like the following change has fixed this:

2016-09-15  Michael Albinus  <address@hidden>

        * tramp-cmds.el (tramp-cleanup-connection): Flush process
        properties prior deletion of process.

There were some changes in parallel to this commit, don't remember
whether they are related.

Do you see a chance to check the recent Tramp 2.3.2, which contains this
patch? Or, even better, use the git repository of Tramp?

I've been using Tramp 2.3.2 for a few weeks, now. I haven't seen the
false positive on remote file change at when connecting to the OpenBSD
machine. With older versions, this problem was common.

I connect less frequently to my MacOS 10.9 machine. With the older
version of Tramp, I rarely, possibly never, saw the false
positive. With the newer version I didn't see the problem until
today. Though only the once, so far.

Even if it's not completly fixed, this is much better than before.

I do see timeouts obtaining a local shell prompt now and
then. Possibly it because we use the Korn Shell here. I've inserted
guards in my .profile. I'll keep watching it.

Mark Geary

--
Fifty-four Forty or Fight!