Re: How do I debug this?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How do I debug this?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:22:41 +0200

Mark Geary <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mark,

> I suppose there is more than one cause of the false positives. One
> case is where the ssh connection drops. When I update emacs's local
> copy of the file, Tramp re-creates the connection to the remote machine
> and tries to check the file's stats. But Tramp doesn't always
> re-create the tramp_perl_file_attributes shell function.

Thanks for the analysis! I've tried to reproduce the problem locally, it
doesn't happen here. Looking at the problem in detail (connection
properties are not flushed properly when the process died), it seems
like the following change has fixed this:

2016-09-15  Michael Albinus  <address@hidden>

        * tramp-cmds.el (tramp-cleanup-connection): Flush process
        properties prior deletion of process.

There were some changes in parallel to this commit, don't remember
whether they are related.

Do you see a chance to check the recent Tramp 2.3.2, which contains this
patch? Or, even better, use the git repository of Tramp?

> There seem to be other cases where the false positive occurs which I
> am still considering.

I'm very interested to get your feedback!