Re: Tramp behavior differs in gnu and cygwin emacs

From: Frederick Bartlett
Subject: Re: Tramp behavior differs in gnu and cygwin emacs
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 12:35:18 -0400

Michael,

Thanks. That did it.

Bit of a bummer, since I've used that prompt on dos boxes for about 30 years .... but it works.

Perhaps the problem was not the datetime but the fact that the prompt ended with a newline? I did try to check for that in one shell-prompt-pattern attempt : "^[^$#>]*[$#>][ \n]*$" -- but that didn't help.

Thanks again,
Fred

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Frederick Bartlett <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Frederick,

> I've been using tramp via plink in cygwin's 32-bit emacs without any
> trouble and recently downloaded the 64-bit version from gnu.org.

Well, there is a difference between the cygwin and the gnu version of
Emacs: the former opens locally a posix shell (bash or whatever), and
the latter opens locally the Windows cmd.exe. This makes a difference in
the prompt.

> When I attempt to connect, I get the message
>
> Tramp: Opening connection for <me>@<there> using plink...
> Couldn’t find local shell prompt for C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
> Tramp: Opening connection for <me>@<there> using plink...failed
> tramp-file-name-handler: Couldn’t find local shell prompt for
> C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
>
> And yet I do get a prompt in the *tramp/plink <me>@<there>* window:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> c:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\Temp - Thu 03/23/2017 -  9:12:46.39 >

Here we are. The prompt looks really uncommon to me, mainly due to the
"- Thu 03/23/2017 -  9:12:46.39" part. Could you suppress this?

> I've played around with shell-prompt-pattern, to no avail.

How did you change it? Could you show the values of
`shell-prompt-pattern' and `tramp-shell-prompt-pattern'?