Re: [Feature Request] Using Tramp to transparently edit files in zip/tar

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] Using Tramp to transparently edit files in zip/tarball/cpio/hddimage etc.
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:32:29 +0200

Hi,

I knew about archive mode already, but there are some major issues
with this approach.

1- It does not deal with password protected zip files.

2- It does not treat the zipfile like a filesystem, so other tools
don't work well with it. My thinking was more along tramp vfs lines
like here:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-vfs/filesystems.html

3- tramp URI's work better when referring to a file inside an archive
somewhere, especially on a remote server. could not confirm how to do
this in archive-mode.

Tim.