Installing from source on Windows

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Installing from source on Windows
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 01:17:12 +0300

Hello. Just want to report a couple of minor mostly documentation issues concerning installation of tramp from sources on windows.

1. INSTALL text file suggests running configure on windows like this:
./configure --with-lispdir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/site-lisp' --infodir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/info' The problem is that the ever since 24.4 site-lisp and info location changed like this: ./configure --with-lispdir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp' --infodir='C:/Program Files/Emacs/share/info' So maybe, this should be noted in INSTALL, since I always forget about this change and then try using old folders.

2. Info won't install because install-info struggles with windows path format. This is the command that fails: install-info --quiet --info-dir=c:/Program Files/Emacs/share/info/ c:/Program Files/Emacs/share/info/tramp; I've found 2 ways of fixing it. First is to remove ";" from that command in the makefile, but I'm not sure whether there's some specific need for it. Alternatively this can be fixed by changing ./configure --infodir to a tool-specific path format:
cygwin: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Emacs/share/info
mingw/msys: /c/Program Files/Emacs/share/info

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev