Remote access to server without keys, only password

From: Luke Swart
Subject: Remote access to server without keys, only password
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 02:25:38 -0700

Dear Tramp dev team,

I am troubleshooting an issue with Emacs Tramp, and I was referred to email you after a suggestion from a user through emacs.stackexchange.com. My question is posted here:

http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/10168/tramp-ssh-login-does-not-prompt-for-password?noredirect=1#comment15777_10168

The full description of my question from that post is below. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Luke

I am trying to use Tramp to log into a server that has no SSH keys, just a password. Unfortunately, upon execution of my /ssh:address@hidden:~/ command, there is no password prompt and the minibuffer says Sending password, and fails to login. How can I get Tramp to prompt me for a password? Or, how can I configure Tramp to log into this server that has no SSH keys and just a password?

I can SSH into the server via terminal just fine with ssh address@hidden, where the password prompt is:

address@hidden's password:

Unless I enter my password, there is no other output in the terminal.

Here is the output in my *Messages* buffer:

Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -l root  -e none 111.111.111.111'

Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Sending password
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -l root  -e none 111.111.111.111'
Tramp: Opening connection for address@hidden using ssh...done
Quit

and after setting a verbose output using (setq tramp-verbose 10), here is the output into my *debug tramp/ssh address@hidden* buffer:

http://pastebin.com/UKJnzP66

Note that I get the same results when using emacs -q.

My M-x tramp-version is 2.2.6-24.3, running on Ubuntu 14.04.

Any help would be appreciated, or even a description of the logs. I am confused because Tramp seems to be sending some kind of default password without prompting me, even when run with emacs -q.

Update

I tried setting tramp-password-prompt-regexp with the following:

  (setq
    tramp-password-prompt-regexp
      (concat
        "^.*"