Re: tramp 2.26 emacs 24.3 plink

From: MM
Subject: Re: tramp 2.26 emacs 24.3 plink
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 04:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

On 9 July 2014 19:12, Michael Albinus [via Emacs]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> MM <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I just however realized that the server doesn't allow me to actually
>> run a shell because my user's shell is noshell!!!!!
The update here is that I've found a sort of gateway machine to which
I can ssh, but this box runs some sort of forwarder where it
1. prints the string "Host:"
2. waits for user input for the hostname to forward to
3. connects and runs a login shell on the entered hostname

Is there a way to make Tramp work with this?

I want not only to edit remote files, but also to
1. use some sort of tagging (either etags or Semantic tags) of the
remote files (maybe the local cache TRAMP has of the remote files) to
be able to jump to symbols,
2. launch remote builds
3. do remote gdb debugging

>> However SFTP is allowed.
>> Is there a way to use tramp for file transfers uniquely, ie visit the
>> remote files, edit, and on saving, it sends them back to server?
>
> Well, sftp works like this since Tramp 2.2.10. You might download it
> from the Tramp repository.
>
> However, it requires D-Bus and gvfs. So your local machine should run
> Gnu/Linux. Maybe cygwin supports this as well, don't know.

Sent from the Gnu - Tramp - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.