Re: Connect to the ssh and execute any command

From: Andrey Tykhonov
Subject: Re: Connect to the ssh and execute any command
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 16:32:02 +0300

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:09:55PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Andrey Tykhonov <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi Michael!
>
> Hi Andrey,
>
> > This is not surprise for me as such hosts are very custom. They are not
> > sterling FreeBSD. I'm not sure if I can install something there. But
> > even I can then I'll be needed to install these things again, again and
> > again, because such hosts has very short life, they reinstalls very
> > often, from the scratch, from template which I'm not able to change...
>
> I see. However, Tramp is not fixed to use `id' and nothing else. It
> needs `id' to recognize the user's uid and gid. If you could tell me,
> what the counterparts of the respective commands are on the remote host,
> I could teach Tramp to use them. Tramp needs to call the following
> commands, which would require a replacement:

Hi Michael,

for sorry I didn't find any counterparts of the respective commands on
the remote host. I investigated /etc/passwd and see that all users which
I need (for login or file modifications) has 0 uid and 0 guid. So all
users which I need are roots. All files on the remote host belongs to
root:wheel.

So, the following commands could return such values:

0

> # id -un

a) Client's username (on remote host there are such usernames as
usernames on client hosts from which I will be used Tramp)

b) 'testuser' (there is such 'test' username on the remote host).

c) Hmmm... Or it can be just a 'root'?..

'testuser' -- seems will be suitable enough.

0

> # id -gn

wheel

Could these values be used by Tramp as constants? In other case I could just
create a little bash script which will return all these values. However
seems constants is more preferable as in case of script I'll be needed
to always upload it on the remote host.

Best regards,
Andrey