Re: tramp (2.2.3-24.1); Using tramp to run ess-remote session. Submittin

From: Tobias Muhlhofer
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.3-24.1); Using tramp to run ess-remote session. Submitting more than one line of code at a time, causes emacs to wait indefinitely.
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 13:51:24 -0500

Michael:

Thanks for this.

> I guess, that your ~/.profile calls that script on the remote server,
> setting a proper $PATH. Per default, Tramp ignores private $PATH
> settings. If you want to keep this setting, you should eval
>
>           (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)
>
> Alternatively, you could add the concrete path to the directory
> containing the R binary to `tramp-remote-path'. See the Tramp manual,
> section 4.14 "How TRAMP finds and uses programs on the remote machine".

OK, excellent. If I put

---------------------
(require 'tramp)
(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)

I can start the remote R session via M-x R and can then feed multiple lines.

I will bring up the Shell issue with the ESS developers.

Thanks for the help!
     Toby
--
           Dr. Tobias Mühlhofer