Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); ssh hangs after password prompt

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); ssh hangs after password prompt
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:11:31 +0200

Philipp Haselwarter <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Philipp,

> The output is attached. After the login there's the output of a call to
> fortune:
>
> I tried commenting the fortune from my ~/.profile but it did not make a
> difference.

No, this doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't look like a shell prompt.

>> My crystal ball tells me there are unexpected escape sequences, or
>> something like this. Did it work in the past, with the same remote host
>> but an older Tramp version?
>
> I couldn't get this working for some time now.
> Other than the first trace which comes from a connection attempt on an
> arch box I've attached a trace of a debian box (192.168.0.10).

Good ole crystal ball: it is right. Your shell prompts on both machines
look like (I have replaced ^M and ^[ by their ascii representation):

%
^M ^M^M^[[01;30m[^[[01;39mbitnoix^[[01;address@hidden;39mnzebook
^[[22;37m~^[[01;30m] ^[[01;30m%^[[00m

%
^M ^M^M^[[01;30m[^[[01;39mphilipp^[[01;address@hidden;39mnxe
^[[22;37m~^[[01;30m] ^[[01;30m%^[[00m

You should suppress the escape sequences on the remote side (see the
Tramp manual for recipes).