Re: problem with preserving emacs tramp file permissions

From: Konstantin Weiner
Subject: Re: problem with preserving emacs tramp file permissions
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:13:49 +0300

Thank you, Michael, for helping figure it out.

Additional clarifications:

For example:
on windows host I open a remote file from a linux host:
/pscp:address@hidden:/tmp/tmp.php
Initially permissions have execute bit on:
-rwxrwxrwx

Then after edits I save
and emacs generates a backup tmp.php~
and creates the new version tmp.php
without execute permissions:
-rw-rw-rw

It seems to be happening inconsistantly/intermittently (sometimes to some files, but not other)
At least I have not figured out a pattern.
I can't seem to replicate it at the moment.

re: enough rights
should not be the case since it happens even when user is root

re: ownership
either root or regular user, but again should not matter for root user?

re: expected permissions
ideal case - keep same permissions as the file had before update.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Konstantin Weiner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Konstantin,

> My versions:
> Emacs : GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
> of 2011-09-19 on 3249CTO
> Package: tramp (2.2.4)

Your local machine runs MS Windows. Do you have problems, when copying
local files to remote, or vice versa?

If not (you copy only remote files), it might be that you don't have
enough karma to change file permission on the target file. Maybe you
could give us a concrete example? Source file name, target file name,
ownership of both files and the upper directory, expected permissions,
etc.

And maybe you could run a test, when tramp-verbose is set to 6. The
resulting debug buffer could tell us more.