`plinkx` repeatedly prompting for password while `plink` does not

From: Randy Morris
Subject: `plinkx` repeatedly prompting for password while `plink` does not
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:37:17 -0400

I'm having issues getting tramp to authenticate to a remote linux server
from a Windows 7 machine using the `plinkx` tramp method.  Tramp simply
requests the password over and over until I cancel the operation.  A
connection to the same server with the same credentials using the
`plink` method works correctly.

I have found a relevant thread on this list, however the OP disappeared
without solving the issue.  That thread is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2011-10/msg00004.html

In putty I've saved a session for address@hidden:$PORT`.  I'll call this
session `foo`.

From the command line when I run:

    plink -load foo -t env 'TERM=dumb' 'PROMPT_COMMAND=' 'PS1=#$ ' /bin/sh

I am prompted for the password for $USER.  When I log in I receive a
`#$` prompt.

In emacs I run `C-x d /plink:address@hidden:` and I am prompted for a
password and can log in and dired loads as I'd expect.

In emacs I run `C-x d /plinkx:foo:` and I am prompted for a password
repeatedly until I cancel the operation.

The tramp version I am using is 2.2.3-24.1 which was bundled with my
emacs version 24.1.1.  All of these steps were completed in an emacs
started with `runemacs.exe -q` so my specific configuration should not
be interfering.

Any ideas?  I'm happy to provide any information needed.