Re: tramp (2.2.4); ^M is confusing tramp's efforts to e.g. ls directorie

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.4); ^M is confusing tramp's efforts to e.g. ls directories
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:56:12 +0100

Robert Lupton the Good <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Michael,

Hi Robert,

[Cc tramp-devel, for the archives]

> It seems that everything works until I save a file, and then the CR
> problems appear.  This debug output should have your patch applied.

Further analyzing both traces you've sent, there is something
mysterious, indeed, when saving a file. Tramp works correctly, until a
remote git command is called. git seems to enable ^M's.

I do not know too much about git and how to configure, but maybe we
shall first verify, that this is the guilty command. Could you, please,
disable the vc machinery in Emacs, before using Tramp (just for test
purposes). You could do this by (setq vc-handled-backends nil)

Or do you use magit? A while ago, there was a discussion on tramp-devel
about problems with magit, but I don't know how it works today. In case
you use it, please disable for the test.