Re: [BUG] TRAMP 2.1.20: "uudecode -o /dev/stdout" check

From: Dmitry Kurochkin
Subject: Re: [BUG] TRAMP 2.1.20: "uudecode -o /dev/stdout" check
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 21:55:02 +0400

Hi Michael.

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:09:31 +0100, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dmitry Kurochkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi Michael.
>
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> > The patch works, thanks.  Now the "uudecode -o /dev/stdout" encoder is
> > skipped.
>
> Thanks for confirmation, I've committed the patch to the Tramp
> repository. Will appear with Tramp 2.2.4.

Cool.  So it will be part of Emacs 24, right?

> > It seems that `tramp-find-inline-encoding' should check that decoder
> > output matches the original input, in addition to the zero exit code.
>
> I beg you pardon, but it does check it. Could you, please, detail what
> you are missing?

Here is the code that checks if a remote encoder and decoder work:

                   "Checking remote decoding command `%s' for sanity" rem-dec)
                  (unless (tramp-send-command-and-check
                           vec
                           (format "echo %s | %s | %s" magic rem-enc rem-dec)
                           t)
                    (throw 'wont-work-remote nil))

(this is from Emacs trunk, but the code in the patch you sent is
essentially the same)

It checks that the command exits with zero status code, but does not
check that it's output is the same as input, i.e. `magic'.  If it did,
then I would not found the original issue, because "uudecode -o
/dev/stdout" does not output anything on the affected system and the
check would fail (it would still create /dev/stdout file, but I would
not notice that).

Regards,
  Dmitry