Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ad-hoc multi-hop editing of remote files
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:06:39 +0100

address@hidden writes:

Hi Tom,

> WOW! The line you sent does work for me. This is really cool stuff.

Well, this syntax is intended for accessing a remote host via multi-hops
in ad-hoc mode, without configuration in advance. It is ugly, and hard
to type.

If you have a permanent need to use multi-hops, you might consider
configuring `tramp-default-proxies-alist'. Let's say, you want to access
several remote hosts by this scenario. Then you need a regexp, which
matches exactly all these hosts. If there is exactly one host,
"remotehost", the regexp could be created by

 (concat "^" (regexp-quote "remotehost") "$")

Otherwise, you might check for the domain name or something else the hosts
have in common. Then you need to add the following lines to your .emacs:

 (let ((regexp ...))
   (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
                (regexp nil "/sudo:address@hidden:"))
   (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
                (regexp "root" "/ssh:address@hidden:")))

With "you" I mean your user account. With these settings, you can always
access that remotehost via "C-x C-f /su:address@hidden:/path"