Re: Unable to open or save remote files using Tramp.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Unable to open or save remote files using Tramp.
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:02:20 +0200

Santosh Navale <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Santosh,

> Thanks for the suggestion. As you pointed out 'head -c' does not
> exist. Also I noticed something strange in the log that you pasted in
> your previous mail.

Hmm. It is needed, when insert-file-contents is called with non-nil BEG
and END arguments. So it might be useful in general, to find a working
head function on the remote machine.

> tail -c +40961
> /home/san6695/ECEN689/project/perl/RCS/binFileRead.pl\,v | head -c
> +8192 >/tmp/tramp.10802aCb   -------> I have no idea why its trying to
> do anything to the file in RCS folder. It is a version control thing.
> It should try to edit/modify/save/open etc the file
> /home/san6695/ECEN689/project/perl/binFileRead.pl.

It's not Tramp, it is vc.el. It checks for every file, whether it is
under version control. The systems to be checked for are defined in
vc-handled-backends.

> I removed the folder RCS and started a new emacs. It seems to be doing
> well now. But I do get the occasional "Could not find status of  test
> -e <filename>". Which I think is very strange.
>
> Could you suggest why this strange behavior with RCS folder and later,
> after getting rid of RCS folder, the could not find status message.

Setting vc-handled-backends to nil will prevent those tests. Then you
could produce new traces, which we will continue to analyze.