Re: Strange prompt in tramp remote shell

From: Christian Millour (AB TELA)
Subject: Re: Strange prompt in tramp remote shell
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 19:40:16 +0100

Le 03/11/2010 17:37, Michael Albinus a écrit :
"Christian Millour (AB TELA)"<address@hidden>  writes:
Old habits die hard and it would be nice (for me at least) if it were
possible to get the tramp remote shell *before* opening any remote
file. ...
It is sufficient to have `default-directory' pointing to the remote
host. Try this command:

Thank you. I will probably adapt this command to my needs RSN :-)
That looks like a reasonable handling of the problem. The variable
$INSIDE_EMACS is set exactly for the purpose to give the user a chance
to react on Tramp specifics. And you do.

If you do not object, I will add your recipe to Tramp's FAQ.

Please feel free to do so, but note that if you access various boxen
with different shells the (setenv "ESHELL" ...) is unwieldy.
Yes, we need a recipe to set environment variables dedicated for a given
remote host. It is a major disadvantage that environment variables
cannot be set host specific. On my todo list for a long time, but I have
no clue yet what to do.

Well, the ESHELL environment variable is used only if the variable explicit-shell-name is undefined. The latter might be easier to deal with.

I would be interested in contributing further to tramp, and I have tried to get the latest version from http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=tramp but it seems I cannot run it. If I put the checked out directory first in the load-path, I get the following error :
File error: Cannot open load file, tramp-loaddefs
does that mean I have to recompile emacs from scratch ? If yes I'm out of luck since my main workhorse these days is a Win7 machine and I intend to be kept blissfully unaware of the intricacies of compiling emacs on windows (I use the ntemacs binary distributed at aahttp://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/).

Thanks again, and best regards, Christian.