Re: modifying shell buffer names with TRAMP data

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: modifying shell buffer names with TRAMP data
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:08:29 +0200

Terrence Brannon <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been using TRAMP with shell-current-directory (
> http://github.com/metaperl/emacs/blob/master/shell-current-directory.el ) to
> open shells on remote machines successfully.
>
> I would like to modify the directory-shell-buffer-name function:
>
> (defun directory-shell-buffer-name ()
>
> so that it includes the hostname and domain name of the machine the shell is
> being created on.

I would do

(defun directory-shell-buffer-name ()
  "The name of a shell buffer pertaining to DIR."
  (concat "*"
          (if (file-remote-p default-directory)
              (concat (file-remote-p default-directory 'user) "@"
                      (file-remote-p default-directory 'host) ":"))
          (file-name-nondirectory
           (directory-file-name (expand-file-name default-directory)))
          "-shell*"))

It is not exactly what you have asked for, but computing host name and
domain name would require calling remote processes.