Inefficient eshell with tramp

From: Leo
Subject: Inefficient eshell with tramp
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:41:36 +0100

Hello,

I have both eshell and shell point to the same remote directory and then
I run 'git version'.

With eshell, every run gives me:

Tramp: Opening connection for kkn using scp...
Tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh kkn   -q -e none'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `kkn'

But shell only does this at M-x shell, subsequent commands run pretty
quickly. For example, 'git version' doesn't even print anything to
*Message*. Can this inefficiency be resolved?

All the tests are done with 'emacs -q' of 23.2.

Sadly my network connection is sucky and so every performance
improvement helps.

Thanks.

Leo