Re: ssh ControlMaster=yes, known_hosts, etc.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ssh ControlMaster=yes, known_hosts, etc.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:38:08 +0200

"Gary ." <address@hidden> writes:

> Okay, first maybe you can clear something up for me - does tramp use
> .ssh/known_hosts? I'm asuming it does (when using ssh) but I've
> occasionally seen odd behaviour that makes me wonder.

Tramp itself uses known_hosts only for hotname completion. However,
Tramp calls ssh, and this uses known_hosts.

> Secondly, is tramp supposed to automatically clear up ssh sessions and
> processes when I close the file I am editing? I got a *lot* of ssh
> processes running, to the extent that I couldn't start any more programs
> (yeah, Windows...).

Tramp does not close a connection when you close a file. It keeps just
one connection per method+user+host combination.

> As a result of finding all of those processes, I wanted to try using
> single connections for all my activity on any particular host, so added
>  Host *
>  ControlMaster auto
>  ControlPath ~/.tmp/address@hidden:%p
> to my .ssh/config file.
>
> This didn't actually work, and appears to be a problem with the system I
> am using not supporting it.

This is not necessary. For ssh vesrsions which support it, you could use
the "scpc" method. However, it is needed only when you copy a file by
scp, or when you apply a remote rpcess.

> Okay. I can live with it, since it seems I must, but in that case I
> really need some way of making sure I don't leave stale processes
> around (yeah, it looks like I can do that manually, but I'll
> forget!). Does anyone have any ideas? I notice
> (tramp-cleanup-all-connections) doesn't kill off the ssh processes,
> rather frustratingly.

Hmm, it should. Could you, please, show, which ssh processes are related
for Tramp?