Re: tramp with shell mode and absolute paths

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp with shell mode and absolute paths
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:14:29 +0100

Matthew Curry <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Mike, thanks for the quick response.  However it appears that
> eshell also suffers under the same behaviour, at least under my emacs
> 23.1.1.
>
> After doing a C-h k TAB, which is bound to the comint-dynamic-complete
> function, it's possible the problem is there, or the functions it
> calls (in comint-dynamic-complete-functions).

I don't believe there is an error. If you do "cd / <TAB>", it will
always complete to a local file name, because that's their syntax.

If you work with remote files, you must use either relative file names,
like "cd ../ <TAB>". Or you use the remote shell syntax (eshell is able
to understand), like "cd /sudo::/ <TAB>".

That's what's possible as of today. I understand that you would like to
have it more comfortable, but I don't see how this could be reached by
simple means. How shall Tramp determine, whether "cd / <TAB>" shall
complete on the remote host, or on the local host? Both would be acceptable.