Re: tramp (2.0.58-pre); no user/password prompt on freebsd

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.58-pre); no user/password prompt on freebsd
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:33:28 +0200

"Paolo Vanni M. Veñegas" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to connect remotely from emacs on a freebsd box to another
> freebsd box (platform may be relevant). Using tramp with ido-mode does
> not work at all, as when I type in /ssh:, it immediately tries to
> connect to the host "ssh". When I set ssh as default method, with
> ido-mode on it as soon as I enter /user@ it assumes I am looking for a
> directory.

According to the ChangeLogs, coexistence between Tramp and ido was
implemented in November 2007. So it cannot work in Emacs 22. Try Emacs
23, which might be released on July 22nd (according to recent
announcements).

> Turning ido-mode off, doing 'C-x C-f /ssh:address@hidden:' and
> pressing <tab> to autocomplete skips the prompt, displays "tramp:
> Sending password", and of course never connects. The debug buffer
> contains the following:

Tramp sends passwords only if they are cached. This caching does not
survive an Emacs session.

Could you, please, check it again, starting with "emacs -Q"?