Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testin

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testing
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:51:55 -0500

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:45:04 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:03:16 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

>> - save /imap:blockstar.com:/INBOX.test/new via tramp-imap-put-file (uses PGG)
>> - read /imap:blockstar.com:/INBOX.test/new via tramp-imap-get-file (uses PGG)

DU> I think this (implicit encryption) is a misdesgined feature which should
DU> be removed.  Why don't you leave the job to auto-encryption-mode so that
DU> a user can choose whether to encrypt a file by adding ".gpg"?

Unlike filesystems, IMAP servers are a semi-public space, in the sense
that the vast majority of the users can't expect security or privacy
beyond what the server administrators and owners are willing to grant.
Very, very few users actually own and control their IMAP servers.  Thus,
encrypting by default is IMHO the best option and the only one I
provided in this initial version.

I disagree the user should choose whether to encrypt, especially by the
burdensome mechanism of changing the file extension.  The majority of
users will use the default setting, whatever it is.  I believe the
default setting of tramp-imap.el should be to encrypt.

If you or anyone else likes, feel free to provide a patch that will
support a nil passphrase to mean no encryption should be performed.  The
usual Emacs-style settings for the passphrase (alist and function in
addition to a string) which I plan to add eventually can return nil too
for the same effect.  I can't accept that as the tramp-imap default,
though, and I don't have the time currently to write that support
myself.

Thanks
Ted