Re: Domain names with dots

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Domain names with dots
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:34:29 +0200

Simo Melenius <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems that tramp doesn't like domain names with dots. I had
> problems with the smb backend and connecting to a Windows domain that
> has a dot in its name. The first remedy was to change
> tramp-domain-regexp in tramp.el like this:
>
> (defconst tramp-domain-regexp
>   "[a-zA-Z0-9\.]+"
>   "*Regexp matching domain names.")

Oops, yes. Sounds OK to me. "[a-zA-Z0-9.]+" would be better (who wants a
backslash in a domain name?).

> As tramp-domain-regexp is apparently shared with different backends,
> can you tell me if this interferes with any other backends? Or simply
> whether "address@hidden" would do just as well? I hope to find this issue
> fixed
> in upstream.

It would be more complex. It should be at least "[^%@:]+" for GNU Emacs,
and "address@hidden" for XEmacs. Therefore, I prefer the first alternative.

I'll commit it later today.

> thanks in advance,

Thanks for reporting, and best regards, Michael.