Re: bug#3071: 23.0.92; accept-process-output broken on MacOS

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: bug#3071: 23.0.92; accept-process-output broken on MacOS
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:09:14 -0400

On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Opening remote files/directories via TRAMP is wicked slow on MacOS; the
same operation on a linux emacs running on the same hardware is
practically instantaneous. Turns out that applying the enclosed patch makes the symptom go away. I'm not an expert on emacs process handling, but that tells me emacs probably isn't detecting output from the process
until the timeout (usually 1 second for TRAMP) is reached.

Reading <http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=895 >
indicates, one shall set `process-connection-type' to `nil'. This is
also documented in Bugs 2056, 2503, 2639, 2717.

OTOH, the comment for `tramp-process-connection-type' says that it's not
applicable for Tramp.

Hmm. What happens, when you set `tramp-process-connection-type' to `nil'?
Does Tramp still work on your mac?

Nope.

How fast?

It fails very slowly ;-)